Award Winning Chili
The Wexner Center staff recently had their annual chili cook-off competition. There were many takes on the classic cold weather comfort food: super meaty, â€˜can't believe its vegetarian', and the cinnamon Cincinnati variety. Competition was tough, but one top chili chef came out victorious. Congrats Molly!
Keep reading for the award winning recipe
1 lb. ground beef
½ lb. ground hot sausage
Giant Vidalia onion
2 habenéro peppers (these are VERY hot, start with just one, and add more to your liking)
2 Tbl of minced garlic
Green pepper (optional)
1 can of tomato paste
2 cans of stewed or diced tomatoes
1 can red beans
1 can black beans
1 can kidney beans
2 Tbl chocolate drink mix (like Nestle Quick)
2 tsp of cayenne pepper
2 tsp of coriander
2 tsp of cumin
2 tsp of black pepper
1 tsp brown mustard seed
1 tsp yellow mustard seed
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp cinnamon
*spice measurements are all an approximation.
1. Dice Onions (put one cup of onions aside), Green peppers and Habenéros peppers and set aside. (obviously you've washed your hands before cooking, but, make sure to wash your hands very well after handling this pepper, this spicy pepper oil can stick with you all day)
2. Cook beef, sausage, garlic and one cup of the onion in a frying pan.
3. Once meat is browned, stir in spices.
4. When the onions become clear, remove pan from stove.
5. In a giant stew pot, dump all of the canned ingredients.
6. Add diced habenéros, diced green peppers and diced onion.
7. Add meat.
8. Add chocolate drink mix.
9. Let it stew for an hour plus, stirring occasionally.