All members of the community who are not currently enrolled students are invited to apply to the Community Docent Program as volunteers. Although community docents will not be eligible for academic or financial benefits, all will have the opportunity to participate in Wexner Center and university programming in unique and rewarding ways. The docent training program follows the Ohio State spring semester calendar and meets Fridays, 9:35-10:55 AM. Click here to view an example syllabus. Additional training and mentoring with experienced docents and staff continue throughout the year.
We are now taking applications for our 2016 class of docents. Contemporary art challenges viewers to face and explore potentially provocative topics. Docents lead meaningful gallery discussions and push visitors to experience art from a range of perspectives. They guide the public in exploring issues of identity, race, sexuality, politics, and more. An academic background in the arts isn’t necessary—but a love for the arts and people is. To apply, send a letter of intent along with your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or send by post to the Wexner Center (1871 North High Street, Columbus, OH 43210) c/o Docent Program.
Applications must be in our hands by Tuesday, November 17.
Wexner Center Engagement
- Complimentary and reduced price Wexner Center performing arts tickets
- Access to complimentary film tickets
- Discount in Wexner Center Bookshop and Cafe
- Access to education department library
- Meet artists and curators from around the world
- Learn more about how museums work from the inside
- Support the Wexner Center's mission of active, respectful participation with contemporary art
University and Community Engagement
- Eligibility for Ohio State library card
- Opportunity to interact with a diverse university community of students and faculty
- Connect with others who share your interest in contemporary art
- Opportunity to practice communication skills
- Opportunity to actively participate in larger Columbus community by working with diverse groups interested in exploring contemporary art
- Complimentary drink ticket following a scheduled tour
- Parking passes